Correct care is important to ensure a long life for your horn items. Even though horn is a hard and beautiful material, blessed by Mother Nature with amazing colours and patterns, it can be damaged by water, heat, and soap.
How to care for horn items
Here is some advice on how to care for items made from horn:
1. Never clean your horn items before reading the care instructions from Hornvarefabrikken. The instructions are included with your product, and can be found on this website. Your warranty will be VOID if your horn items have not been cared for properly.
2. Clean your horn items in lukewarm running water without soap or other cleaning products. Dry off the items immediately.
3. Never clean horn items in a dishwasher.
4. Never soak horn items in water for a longer period. You can dip the items in cold or lukewarm water, but no more than that. Dry off the items immediately. Never use hot water.
5. Do not allow your horn items to sit for prolonged periods in fluids, e.g. jams, salads, or dressings - for the duration of the meal is fine.
6. Avoid leaving horn items in direct sunlight or near heat sources.
7. Old heirloom horn items like old tablespoons etc. should be given a light coating of oil from time to time to prevent them from drying out. See a video on YouTube where a horn spoon gets a light coating of oil.
Care for spoons for eating
Spoons for eating, e.g. baby and child spoons, are only for feeding. Use the spoon only when the food has cooled to body temperature.
Care for spoons for serving
The spoons may be left sitting in fluids for shorter periods only, e.g. during a meal. Clean the spoon directly after use following our instructions.
Care for combs
Do not leave fine-toothed combs unprotected in a bag or purse, as the teeth risk being snapped off. Store your comb in a case.
Care for jewellery
Take off your horn jewellery when washing your hands or showering. Do not drop your jewelry and store it in a case when travelling.
Care for drinking horns
The horns have been boiled in water and cleaned out when we receive them from Africa.
We rinse out the horns twice and recommend that you do the same. Hornvarefabrikken cannot accept responsibility for any residue left in the horns.